LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SPECIFIC?


Friday, September 14, 2012

Interview with Michael Bastian, of GANT

Before the GANT S/S13 presentation I had a chance to sit down with Michael to speak with him about the latest collection, building a wardrobe, and maintaining a successful menswear brand. Please read below.

Skinny Suspenders: What were you in search of creating this season, and do you think you accomplished that?
Michael Bastian: What I wanted to create was a new interpretation of GANT by Michael Bastian. I wanted to bring in a couple of elements that we haven't played around with in the past. One being this sense of exploration, another being this idea of South American indigenous handcraft, and the third was wanting to bring attention to this part of the world that could use our attention that's really an under-appreciated gem on this planet, which is the Galapagos Islands.

Skinny Suspenders: You've said your dad wore GANT and you even grew up wearing GANT. How would you describe whose wearing it today?
Michael Bastian: The funny thing about GANT is it's now become an international brand. It's just as strong in Europe as it is in America. Part of our objective here is really bringing GANT back to America to show the next generation of what GANT is and can be here in America. And like you said, I wore it growing up, my dad wore it growing up, and there was a little bit of time where GANT went away in America and when they first approached me to have coffee, mainly I said yes because I wanted to find out what the hell happened to one of my favorite brands. We're in this moment of reviving American heritage brands and GANT fell off the radar. So that's where we are today, and we're taking big steps.

Skinny Suspenders: Do you think it has the same aesthetic as when you wore it, and do you think you are recreating that for men today?

Michael: Hell yea. I look at the pictures of me and my dad in GANT back in the day, and yea a button-down is a button-down, but GANT is now a complete lifestyle brand. They even have home, kids, eye wear, but back in the day Gant was really a shirt maker. So how do you take the spirit of that original idea of GANT which is classic, amazing, American sportswear and translate that into something that is relevant for the customer today? Some of these revivals of American brands fall on their face because they do it too literally. No one wants to step back in time.

Skinny Suspenders: So it has to be modern?
Michael: It has to be modern, or else it's just not relevant.

Skinny Suspenders: What's your advice for guys who are gradually trying to build a wardrobe?
Michael:
The best advice I have is to buy less, but buy better. Don't automatically run to a fast fashion brand and buy ten bags of stuff. You're not going to be happy, and you're not going to get the wear out of it. Save your money and buy one perfect navy blazer, one great fitting pair of chinos, a couple really good oxford cloth shorts. If everyone is honest with themselves you open up your closet and we all probably wear 10% of what we own, but we wear that 10% all of the time. So make sure that that's the best 10% you can find and stick to that. I think people waste a lot of money buying cheap stuff that just falls apart.

Skinny Suspenders: Because they want it now.
Michael:
You get that shopping rush, you get buzz, and it's almost like a drug. Trust me, it's more like the difference between a one night stand and getting married. You're not going to regret it in the morning if you take the time, put the energy into it, and spend the money.

Skinny Suspenders: So quality over quantity.
Michael:
Yes.

Skinny Suspenders: You'll be featured in FIT's new Ivy Style exhibit which opens September 14th in their museum.
Michael:
Isn't that amazing? I'm so happy.

Skinny Suspenders: I'm actually an FIT student. I was wondering how excited you are to be apart of the Ivy Style evolution?
Michael:
It's really an honor, let's put it that way. To be included with those guys, and I think it's all guys, I'm not being sexist, I think it's all mostly men's designers being featured. I met some of them, the people who are pulling the exhibit together actually introduced me to this man, and it's so funny because he's a little bit older now, he goes back to the 40s, 50s, 60s, and he knew everyone and someone mentioned something about GANT and I don't think he connected the dots that I'm actually working with GANT now and he goes, "You know, I was a friend of Berney Gant back in the day and he'd be rolling over in his grave if he saw what's happening." I was like, that's really funny because people say the same thing about Chanel, 'Oh Chanel would be rolling in her grave if she knew what was happening', but you know you have to keep moving. Like you were saying, it's got to be modern and relevant. I have no hatred for that guy, and I love that he's the link to Bernard Gant who founded the company. I don't think Bernard is rolling in his grave, I think Bernard would be proud that his name is still relevant today, and pushing forward.


MOST READ THIS WEEK

hello

HOME

MOOD BOARD

TWITTER

PINTEREST