LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SPECIFIC?


Friday, August 3, 2012

Classically Innovative

BY: CALEB POLING

     You'll have to forgive me if my words sound a bit loopy, I just got out of surgery a few hours ago. I know, I know I should be resting - but the blog must go on! Besides, my review of the Thom Browne Spring 2013 menswear collection has been a long time coming. The genius of this man isn't just his designs and it isn't just his showmanship; it's his ability to mix clothes in such a contradictory way that leaves your mind trying to decipher what exactly he is saying with his collection.
     My early frustrations with menswear was that the runway shows were never showy enough. When I was younger I wanted menswear to be over the top and for it to not just say something, but scream something. That desire has faded the more I have watched menswear from season to season and began understanding and appreciating it for what it is. It's not trying to sell you a completely new silhouette or completely innovative aesthetic each season, which is something that womenswear wear does. If you buy a great blazer now, in a year that blazer will still be good. The shape and fit of menswear is what gives it it's uniqueness and even that is a slow transition. So while Tom Browne can design the hell out of a suit, he also knows to keep the progression somewhat entertaining by adding an element of surprise. For instance many pieces below could be worn as separates. Maybe it doesn't make you want to wear a jacket covered in whales, but rather gives you the desire to clean your look up, make it a bit more preppy, the interpretation is up to you. I just salute Mr. Browne for giving us something to interpret.





MOST READ THIS WEEK

hello

HOME

MOOD BOARD

TWITTER

PINTEREST