As I approached Pier 59 Studios Saturday night for the Robert Geller menswear show, I was reminded of the blog posts I have done in the past about the label. For me, the clothes have always been about this very cool guy who is well aware of what is happening in fashion, but always stays true to his style. This being my first time attending the show, I was anxious to see how it would all translate in person.
The runway was split in half with white gates, and each side had rows of white benches upon which the most fashionable men in fashion sat. As I watched people like Richard Chai and Nick Wooster walk into the room, it became very apparent that the aesthetic of the brand attracts the muses I had always envisioned. Very cool men who were all are aware of what is happening in fashion, but the men at the show were known for always sticking to their fashion identity.
A review of a good collection talks about the clothing, a review of a great collection talks about the impact, the attitude, and the environment the clothes create. Excuse me as I embark on explaining things a little too deeply... The studio was faintly lit, the setting was small and intimate compared to the massive runway shows that you typically think of. And while when we think of fashion, our minds are cluttered with thoughts of only women's fashion, this fashion environment was completely filled with gentlemen of all kinds.
Menswear as a whole is sometimes overlooked, and is a very small world in the scheme of things. But that's just it. Menswear doesn't need the attention. It's just like the Robert Geller show. Small, intimate, innovative where newness is needed, and traditional where familiarity is needed.








