Written By: Caleb Poling | Socialize: @CalebPoling
There isn't one social newsfeed I see daily that does not include 'articles' that consists of a title followed by a sea of .gifs. There always seems to be a new list of something or other that can best be described by moving images rather than words.
I understand the appeal. It's an easy page to navigate that consists of your finger mindlessly scrolling as you read a list of the 26 stages of doing homework, or the 14 best cartoons from the 90s with subliminal sexual connotations. There is no doubt websites like Buzzfeed thrive off of producing enormous amounts of silly content directed specifically at young adults who are not only nostalgic but also allergic to taking situations too seriously.
The other day I met a man who works at Buzzfeed. I asked him what he did there, expecting him to say he searches Tumblr for random .gifs to use in 'articles' but instead I got an answer that surprised me. He writes various political articles for the website. I slightly frowned imagining I would feel sad if I wrote political articles where they are probably overlooked by stories involving cats sneezing and children being exploited on reality television shows.
He explained to me that he was in a good place. The company he works for is profittable and acquiring many new readers while other publications such as The New York Times is suffering financially. He got to do what he loves without worrying about the financials of it all.
It's a good point. But it grows old when our inability to read actual words is perpetuated by this constant fluff that doesn't consists of actual content or original thought. It serves it purpose I suppose for the target audience, but to me moving images will never count as writing.