LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SPECIFIC?


Saturday, September 14, 2013

DIGITALLY INFORMED

By: Caleb Poling

     As I begin my senior year at the Fashion Institute of Technology I have noticed something; many of my classes no longer require a textbook. Instead what has taken it's overpriced place is that we subscribe and read publications such as WWD, NRF Briefs, Harvard Business Review, and Fortune magazine.

     No longer can a book published a few years ago capture the innovation and breakthroughs that our world experiences on a frequent basis. 



     Personally, I'm a huge supporter of this change. The iBook app on my iPad has become a library of informative PDFs of information that is cutting-edge. No longer do we read for the sake of reading a chapter. We're becoming more well-rounded, we're becoming more informed.

     It encourages real-world application. It's not just definitions and explanations, it's scenarios, problem-solving, and eye-opening information. 

    Many students who attend a school like FIT with a concentrated area of studying become discouraged with people outside of the school stereotype or think we are trapped behind one industry. However, this year I've never felt more in tune with what's happening politically, digitally, socially, and aesthetically. 

     The world is becoming smaller, and that means industries will blend together. Being familiar with an array of industries just might be prove to be the most useful thing we as students can do.

MOST READ THIS WEEK

hello

HOME

MOOD BOARD

TWITTER

PINTEREST