By: Caleb Poling
For so many summers when I was younger, I would be assigned a different book to read. I would look at the 300 page book like a daunting chore and deem it impossible and downright unfair that my summer would be forced to be spent on -gasp- a book. Like clockwork at the end of each summer I would read the sparknotes on the chosen novel and skim that. Skimming the sparknotes - at that point I might as well have just kept the book underneath my pillow and through osmosis I would understand the plot.
Flashforward a few years and here I am growing towards the end of the last summer break of my life before I enter my senior year of college. Between work and life itself I am constantly making my rounds to my favorite bookstores in Chelsea, SoHo, NoHo, and the UES. I making up for all of the summers I missed out on.
My latest read is Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple. It is aggressively addicting, hilarious, and relatable in ways you only admit in your mind. If the name sounds familiar the author was a writer for Arrested Development and Ellen.
If you've ever felt anti-social, lied to, judged, creatively stuck, out of place, or betrayed there will be chapters in this book that make you squeeze the very book itself with how much you relate. The book is now being turned into a feature film.

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SPECIFIC?

MOST READ THIS WEEK
-
How and why these menswear masters are slowly taking over the industry. Written By: Caleb Poling | Socialize: @CalebPoling ...
-
The continuous growth of the Internet has led many creative individuals to revamp how we do things. Gary Kingsnorth, the editor of The ...
-
With the clutter of the 21st century, are we finding peace in minimalism? Written By: Caleb Poling | Socialize: @CalebPoling ...
