You are bombarded with the sound of the music, by the sound of cheering, by the sound of clapping. They have waited for that moment for four years, and here they are laying it all out there for the industry to see.
Rewind. For four years the design students at the Fashion Institute of Technology have vigorously learned the ins and outs of designing and constructing a garment. As part of their senior year select students are chosen to show a look from their senior collection during the FIT Runway Show. This year marked the beginning of something special for these students. Calvin Klein has donated $2 million dollars to the production of this show and many to come. The models backstage were runway ready and fully dressed in all of the FIT garments, which were impeccably made. As I made my way back to the front, the lights dimmed and FIT President Joyce Brown came up to the podium to speak. She mentioned Diane von Furstenberg helping the students decide what to show, and how Joe Zee, Nanette Lepore, and Calvin Klein (all FIT alumni) were sitting front row to support the students.
I have to say, as an FIT student and as FIT's V.P. of Alumni Affairs, I felt so proud being a part of an institution who would be so supportive in launching the creative careers of its' students. You see the design students carry their bags of supplies around campus. You see them in the workrooms late into the night and early into the morning. Their faces ache with how much they believe in themselves and love what they do. In return, they are awarded a night like this. You are bombarded with the sound of the music, by the sound of cheering, by the sound of clapping. They have waited for that moment for four years, and here they are laying it all out there for the industry to see.
I've been to various designer shows over the last few years, but I never had the same reaction as I did with this show. To feel and know the harsh side of it, gives you all the more reason to enjoy the beautiful side of it. Congratulations to all of the students!
| Joe Zee, Creative Director of Elle Magazine and myself. |



