Just the other day I was sitting in my Creative Presentation class and the lecture was on color forecasting. I remember the days when I would sit behind my computer browsing through all of the collections in New York, Paris, and London wondering how all of these designs have various things that related to one another. How those common threads became trends, how those trends became knocked-off by retailers, and how people uninterested in fashion started looking the same. It's like that infamous scene in The Devil Wears Prada when Miranda Priestly, the editor of a fashion magazine in the film explains to Anne Hathaway's character the reality of how fashion effects so many.
As were going through the lecture my professor begins to explain the evolution of color in the fashion industry; how colors are not picked at random. Essentially the colors that are in this season, will gradually change and be used for the next season, and continue so down the road. For instance the ultra bright orange that is popular this season will be used next season but in a darker hue or value. Then for spring, it will be used once again but soften and lightened. From there it could turn into a yellow that turns into a green-yellow the next season, and a mustard the next. So I spent some time in the FIT color lab and found some colors I could see being used for Spring 2013, but I guess we will have to wait until September when the Spring '13 shows take place!


